Sunday, August 22, 2010

On the Balcony with a Penguin

I hadn't heard of Penguin 75 until I picked it up in a bookstore and couldn't put it down. I had to buy it. It's full of fantastic contemporary Penguin book covers. I have to show you!
I'm caught by this cover for Zadie Smith's On Beauty. I remember I hadn't been impressed by it when I had first seen it for sale, but I love it here.
Especially after having seen these fabulous roughs that Henrick Kubel, of A2/SW/HK, did for art director Darren Haggar.
I love Brian Cronin's illustration for Graham Greene's Brighton Rock. What a fantastic depiction of Pinkie, with those terrible lips pressed tightly together!
It's fun to read what art director, Paul Buckley and the illustrator have to say about their redesign of Greene's novels.
Buckley and illustrator Mick Wiggins write about redesigning the Gerald Durrell catalogue. Wiggins' illustrations look both fresh and of the period. These are the copies of these books that I want to be seen reading.
How brilliant of designer, Jen Wang,  to use slices of the original paperbacks for the cover of The Short Novels of John Steinbeck. It's gorgeous.
I didn't know the "Turkish Delight" mystery novels of Mehmet Murat Somer. Here is cover illustrator Tomer Hanuka's description of the series hero: "You're a slender man of Turkish descent who's a computer whiz, a private detective, a black belt, and an Audrey Hepburn look-alike. Most prominently, you are a transvestite. You sit in your night-club, ready to punch someone softly or kiss him to death. Either way, it's a deadly move." I have got to read these.

No comments:

Post a Comment