Monday, April 9, 2018

Vintage Facebook Clickbait

One morning in 2014 I was looking at Facebook and found myself wondering about the hand-drawn nostrils in this tiny advertisement. Looked like someone had used a magic marker.
I clicked on the ad for a closer look at the picture and of course I was taken somewhere I didn't want to be. But there was no larger version of the picture. I had taken the bait.
I started taking photographs of the ads that caught my attention rather than clicking on them.
in 2014 I wondered what they were up to with these Retirement Calculator images. I didn't connect them to my own 2014 retirement planning. 
"Weird food" ads are still popular. Also shocking cures -- sometimes based on a weird tip, sometimes on an ancient secret. Often from a local mom.
This tip is unusual in that it is not a weird tip -- just a plain old tip.
"Discover how to earn a CEO Salary"
I did click on this one or a similar one and I watched an infomercial. Never did learn about those 2 foods.
Queasy-making photo of a fat fighter. Do you wonder what the heck it is?
Here are two sexually exploitive ads. Something conventional from Maxim.
Something more aggressive from Tinychat. The you instead of your in "Katie went to you page" strikes a note as does the casually illiterate "12 new viewed on you". When I saw this on my Facebook page I was appalled.
Will the "what happened next" meme be with us for all time?
Vintage clickbait -- "What She Did Next..."
"What happens after it gets rescued..."
I liked these two grinning faces together, but I didn't join them with a click. I felt so warned off. When will we three click again?

Now the "what happened next" thing is used to attract custom to other online content like this nice YouTube video. I've included this so we could end with something pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are wise to stop clicking on these things! Glad you kept the screenshots though.
    Too funny
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa. Think you are right about the clicking. Was careful to clean out any left-behind cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Filled with worms and spyware and cookies.

    ReplyDelete